Monday, April 30, 2012

A Break-Up?

I was kind of upset to discover this morning that Kashi cold cereals are not as "natural" as they have claimed to be. I found out about the so-called scandal through Brittany's blog. I don't buy Kashi products for their organic-ness or their "natural" qualities. I buy them because the ones I choose are low-cal, low-fat, tasty, and filling. I certainly don't buy them for their low price -- $4 for one box of cereal is a budget-killer! Kashi offers a wide variety of cold and hot cereals, oatmeal, granola bars, etc. If you've been reading my little corner of the blog world long enough, you know I have a big soft spot in my heart (and my stomach) for Kashi.

Allow me to clarify the "I was kind of upset" part a bit. I'm not an organic food person. Not that I don't enjoy pesticide-free eats and more natural substitutes (e.g. I'm a big fan of Truvia, but not a big fan of its expense)... I just don't have a budget that allows me to eat completely organically. I could claim that I don't have the time or the shopping resources to allow me to eat more organically, but that would be a blatant lie. I do frequently buy organic tomatoes, cucumbers, and protein smoothies because that is what my local Kroger provides. Other than that, I aim for more directly calculable health benefits (e.g. low-fat, high-protein, low-carb, high-nutrient, lean options).

There are several diets with which I would like to experiment: organic, raw, Paleolithic, and vegan. After you've drastically altered your diet once (i.e. becoming a vegetarian as an 8th-grader, and then gradually assuming pescetarianism) it shouldn't be but so hard to navigate again.

So should Kashi and I break up? I'm less concerned about Kashi's infidelity with gene-infused grains than I am with how long Kashi and I have been together. If you're a Kashi-lover at heart, let me know how you're dealing with the company's misleading marketing. Sometimes, it's all about the wording.

P.S. Today marks the last official day of my first year of graduate school! I'm all smiles :)


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just stumbled upon your blog through HTP, as I'm sure a lot of people will today, and just wanted to say way to go! Keep it up and pi love from Boston (saw your shirt :) ).

Girl Emerging said...

Thanks!! I'm so honored to be featured :) Glad you enjoyed the blog! <>