Monday, April 9, 2012

Recharging My Batteries

 I don't think it would be possible for me to forget how it feels to be at home with my family. But sometimes, in the midst of a hectic semester, wedged between lit reviews and group presentations, and stuck under Post-It notes reminding me about practice sessions and extra credit opportunities, I forget how refreshing and relieving it can be to spend a weekend at home recharging my batteries. It's amazing how just one of my mom's homemade dinners, or one of my dad's freshly cut fruit bowls left in the fridge, or one of my sister's insanely inappropriate jokes, can really turn things around.

I have never experienced more stress in my life than I have as a graduate student. This is, of course, one of the reasons I'm considering seeing a counselor this summer, but I'm also considering this because it's part of my journey toward becoming a counselor myself. It would be a mistake for me as a counselor-in-training to assume that I don't have "baggage" or unresolved issues from the past affecting me, whether or not I'm conscious of it. That being said, my family is my primary support system, and being at home really helps me clear my head and be more level-headed in my decisions. I can't even put into words the magnificence of sleeping in (sort of), watching TV guilt-free, eating home-cooked meals, relaxing outside, laughing and joking with Ian and my fam, and celebrating Easter with my favorite people. Sometimes, a girl just needs to unwind. That's exactly what I did. I drove back to my apartment, went grocery shopping, and went to class this afternoon -- all with a smile.


P.S. How was your Easter weekend, whether or not you celebrate the religious holiday? What did you do? Did you watch the Masters to see Bubba Watson's glorious win?

No comments: