Monday, April 16, 2012

Run About It, Read About It

Interestingly enough, I ran across an article last night via Twitter about common mistakes runners make. I thought maybe these mistakes could help explain my knee pain.
It would appear that I'm making two out of three of these mistakes.

Guilty!
The third mistake, which I am proud to say I am not making due to my need to change my footwear up, is overusing the same old pair of sneakers.
Not a problem!
The article recommended that runners change their sneakers out every 200-350 miles (or about every 4-6 months, depending on how much you run). This isn't a problem for me, since I have yet to make my 50-mile monthly goal, and I keep my new sneaks almost solely for gym use.

On a related note...
As I mentioned yesterday, I took a planned day off from running this morning... but I was still itchin' for a cardio workout. I couldn't resist the elliptical, and that 45 minutes felt gooood! Well, not so much on the knee. The soreness occurs immediately following a workout, though it doesn't hurt while I'm exercising. Tomorrow, I'm definitely taking the hint and making it either a rest day or strictly an upper-body strength training day. I know I need to be smart about treating my body, but I can't help but be excited that I have fewer than 20 miles left to accomplish in the month, and 14 more days!

Have a phenomenal Monday, and take advantage of this beautiful weather!

No comments: