Monday, January 2, 2012

I Resolve

Happy Monday! Being that it's only January 2nd, I thought it would still be appropriate to share with you my resolutions for twenty-twelve. They are as follows, in no particular order: (1) Stop planning for the future so much and focus more on the present, (2) Be nicer to Ian and stop allowing outside pressures to affect our relationship, (3) Follow up on the fitness goals I've set for myself, and (4) Treat my body better.

Being that I'm a grad student dependent upon a full-time job as early as May of 2014, of course I need to plan for the future (e.g., plan my course load accordingly, note employers hiring, befriend professors and guest speakers for possible future endeavors). But I don't need to plan to the extent that Post-Its overwhelm my other school supplies, or such that my poor planner snaps in the middle from the strain of constant frenzied flipping back and forth. I plan to spend more time in 2012 enjoying the present moment and savoring time with the ones I love. The recent hospitalizations of one of my godfathers, Bill-Bill, and the recent passing away of my former employer at ACAC have only reinforced this resolution for me.

I really should be nice to my boyfriend, shouldn't I? After 2 years, 1 month, and 21 days, he's still by my side, "warts and all," as my Human Development professor says. Sometimes I tend to say things without thinking about how they'll affect his feelings or how they sound to those around me who don't necessarily share my somewhat warped sense of humor. If I could make fewer jokes at his expense and pay him more compliments, I think it could go a long way in our relationship. It's my firm belief that partners in committed relationships should be equals; thus, Ian deserves to be treated as such.

People ask me constantly whether Ian's "The One," when I think I'll be engaged, how many children we'd like to have, blah blah blah. Any sane person would smile and nod and answer the endless string of nosy questions before wondering to herself, When am I going to be engaged? How many children do I want? These questions placed strain on me, which in turn placed strain on Ian. Hey, we're two (reasonably) broke college kids. I'm unemployed by choice and I've just finished my first semester of grad school, while he's heading into his last semester of undergraduate school before heading off to med school at VCU to study pediatrics. We don't have the time, money, or resources to be planning a schmaltzy event right now! What I do know is that we are planning on doing all of these things someday when we are in the same place at the same time :) For now, we are supporting each other in living our dreams.
I began the 2011-2012 school year with strong fitness goals. I went to the gym between 4 and 6 days a week, spending 20-40 minutes on the treadmill before gritting my teeth and hitting -- wait for it! -- the multi-press, ab crunch, inner and outer thigh, mid-row, bicep curl, leg extension, and tricep pushdown machines. When I arrived home December 9 for my five-and-a-half week Christmas break, my fitness activities (and sadly, efforts) went to hell. My dad loves to ski and I love to snowboard, but for the past few years, the slopes at Wintergreen have kicked my ass. It's not a secret that I could and need to be in better shape, and not just for a 4-hour lift ticket. Snowboarding with Dad is part of my motivation; losing weight and feeling better overall is my main source of motivation.
On that note, I need to treat my body much better. Everyone always says "You only get one life so live it up" and other cliche mantras, but so many of them are alarmingly true. I am only going to get one body, and I can only keep funneling alcohol into it or spending whole evenings in smoky frat parties for so long. I want to die peacefully in my sleep, not wasting away from disease I could have prevented. High cholesterol, heart disease, osteoarthritis, clinical depression, diabetes, and macular degeneration are all heredity factors in my family; emphysema and liver cancer are not.

Whew! Okay, so maybe this online account of my resolutions will hold me accountable. Maybe you can help, too! What are some of your resolutions for 2012?

1 comment:

gilesi68 said...

I don't really know how to comment on a blog...but I really like this post :)

I love you baby.

Ian