Wednesday, January 18, 2012

The Delights of "Syllabus Week"

For those of you who are in still in graduate school or who have recently completed it, you may remember the joys of syllabus week -- no repeat classes in a week (as in UG school), introductions, name games, "ice-breakers," Q&As, syllabi explanations, and getting out of class early. What's not to love?!

Syllabus week means organizing and memorizing new deadlines.
Syllabus weeks means lots (and lots... and lots...) of printing.
Syllabus week means learning my way around new textbooks.
And lastly, syllabus week means that I have ample time to prepare delicious, nutritious breakfasts, like my favorite omelette with veggie bacon and sauteed onions ;)
Monday night was my first class of the new semester: Legal and Ethical Issues in Counseling. When my professor announced that we'd be playing "Would You Rather" combined with Four Corners, I immediately went to "Is this real life?" in my head. Yes, my friends. It was very real. We were dismissed after just 75 minutes, which meant I could eat dinner at a human hour, as opposed to 8:00 or 8:30.

I have the same professor for my other two classes this semester: Group Counseling Procedures and Techniques, and Counseling Techniques. This semester my schedule is slightly different, with evening class Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday. I anticipate that we'll have similar syllabus days all week, perhaps with variations in get-to-know-each-other questions. Guess that means I'll have to think of a different response than, "I just began a healthy living blog!" to Tell us something about yourself that we might not already know.
If you're in school this week, enjoy syllabus week! Here's to a brand new semester, and not too much homework (yet)! ;)

P.S. Do/did you love or loathe syllabus week? Do you enjoy starting over and meeting new people and deadlines? Do you get nervous with unfamiliar classmates or professors?

No comments: