Sunday, January 1, 2012

Dilemma

Happy New Year! I think 2012 has a much prettier look than 2011, and I'm excited about the changes this year may bring. Speaking of which, I have a dilemma I've been pondering. Here's the thing: I've been a vegetarian since March 2003. On the rarest of occasions, I've tasted various meats (e.g., escargot and duck on the Royal Caribbean cruise my family took in 2010), but I've stuck to my guns for nearly 9 years. I eat seafood once a week or so, but I usually feast on Morningstar Farms, Quorn, and Amy's vegetarian and vegan products -- chick'n cutlets, tofu, organic burritos, black bean burgers, soy protein patties, etc.

So, what's the dilemma? It's a new year, and I'm looking to make changes. I have to decide whether I'd like to be meatless forever. I tentatively discussed the idea with my boyfriend (Ian) and my parents. Ian's reaction was entirely supportive, which I suspected -- he's a total carnivore. My dad's position was more accusatory; his opinion has been for quite some time that I've maintained my vegetarianism as an "I told you I could" measure. I was like, who [if she isn't serious about a lifestyle change] decides to complicate her lifestyle and cost her parents twice as much to be meatless when she's in the eighth grade?! Apparently, this girl. Mom's position was ambivalent, as I suspect my sister's (Caroline) position will be. I've always been one to consider my family members' opinions before taking drastic measures, but I'm also an adult and an individual. Hmm, what to do?

If you have suggestions about the transition between meatless and omnivorous, I'm definitely on the look-out! I know I need and want to ease myself into this transition. I'll continue eating seafood such as shrimp, pollock, and crab meat, but I'll probably add in sprinklings of chicken (which I've previously found to be bland and boring) and non-red meats (I'm not looking for a cholesterol spike!).

Tomorrow's lunch will be Bottom's Up Pizza in Shockoe Bottom, so I'll order Ian's and my usual favorite, white pizza with caramelized onions. I'll be back with more on the possible omnivore shift. Ta ta!

No comments: