Thursday, June 21, 2012

The Girl Who Felt Good About Skipping

Today was just one of those days. When my alarm went off at 8:15, I knew I had zero desire to go to the gym. My to-do list was a mile long, and I just couldn't muster the enthusiasm to run on the treadmill or lift weights. I decided, with pep in my step, I might add, to buckle down on that supremely long list:

- Swiffer floors
- scrub tub
- vacuum entire apartment
- pack up cabinet food items
- wash linens
- remake bed, replace towels and washcloths
- wash laundry
- pack everything (I own)
- clean toilet
- scrub countertops

Whew! It's before noon and my to-do list is 99% complete, but I am pooped!
See, my second summer class ends tonight, so I'm heading back to Richmond tomorrow for two months. I still consider Richmond home, even though I'm living in my apartment 9 months out of the year. I'm not married, I don't have a roommate, I don't have any real attachment to this city that would give me reason to stay for the summer, and I have a job waiting for me in RIC. Ergo, I'm taking advantage of "free room and board" with my incredible family for as long as I can. Plus, Ian's still in Richmond finishing up his prematriculation program. Please believe, I'm not a closet bachelorette for life, nor am I an extreme homebody. Anyway...

I obviously had a shit-ton to do before I could consider my apartment "summer-ized." And honestly, I know myself well enough to know that if I'm truly not feeling the gym, the gym won't be feelin' me. Sometimes it's really nice to say to myself, I'm not going to the gym this morning, and needing to do X, Y, and Z has nothing to do with it! My to-do list still would have gotten accomplished before class tonight. If you saw my circa 1862 vacuum cleaner, or if you watched me grimace as I contorted my body in order to scrub the far side of the garden tub, you'd applaud me for getting a workout in unintentionally. Either that or you'd laugh until you cried.

So, the bottom line today is that everything got done, and I didn't feel one bit guilty for saying "no" to the gym. Hooray for guilt-free Thursday!

No comments: