Thursday, May 31, 2012

The Reason I Blog

I have never officially provided a rationale for writing Girl Emerging. Not that I need a rationale. I blog purely for the enjoyment of it. My entire life, I have loved writing. I kept a vast collection of diaries and journals and notebooks and records in childhood, but none of them lasted more than a few weeks before I was on to the next one. I'm type-A, anal as they come, so I write with perfectionistic precision. Thinking faster than I can write is frustrating, so typing my thoughts keeps everything more in sync. I used to type random thoughts and documents and title them cryptically on our family computer prior to having my own. I wanted to write, but just as little kids get shy as soon as they realize an adult is watching them at play, I didn't want anyone reading my innermost thoughts about -- heaven forbid -- boys(!), girlfriend drama, the goings-on at school, my latest hobby interest, or the next wacky wardrobe phase I would try. I've always enjoyed writing papers for class because it gave me an excuse to write (talk about a Nerd Alert), to string words together creatively, to log my thoughts and to store and share them instantaneously. As an upperclassman at Longwood, I began reading others' blogs, and I admired their senses of decor, interweb finesse, and brutal refreshing honesty. When I began graduate school last August, I started contemplating what my own little corner of Blog World might contain. Five months ago, I decided that I would try my hand at blogging. I set up this comfy little nook, and thanks to Colleen, I had a few readers and Twitter followers in no time.
My primary interests were (a) keeping a public record of my day-to-day life and thoughts, (b) expressing my desire to live and promote a healthy, energetic lifestyle, and (c) documenting my weight-loss goals, challenges, and successes. While blogging has brought great joy to my life since December, I cannot express in words how much I love the supportiveness, genuineness, and enthusiasm of the blogging community of which I now consider myself an established part.

In other news...
Yesterday's weather was pretty shitty. Not to be blunt or anything. A small tropical storm settled over the Outer Banks, with the eye right over Rodanthe.
It kept us inside all day. That was perfectly fine with me for awhile ("awhile" being the operative word). I read my Ellen Hopkins book, Perfect
Courtesy of Barnes & Noble
I found a fantastic new blog to read, Ian and I kicked ass in Mario Party (in case you're curious, as I'm positive you are, we're on a 4-0 winning streak this week), I made a healthy and delicious breakfast, and we watched a bit of Super Troopers.
Around two o'clock, I had had enough of enjoying the forced laziness. We ventured outside into the gusting winds for a bit of fresh air and a brief dip in the hot tub. We were out there for all of, oh, I don't know, fifteen minutes before the downpour commenced once more. Not that the rain mattered, because we were already wet, but the thunder and lightning followed soon behind.
Perfect.
The hot tub segued into a shower, which gave way to a glorious nap and some Toddlers and Tiaras. Definitely a "guilty pleasure" show. But hey, aren't rainy days "guilty pleasure" days, anyway?

Thanks for reading Girl Emerging, thanks for your continued support, and please feel free to stop by again! :)

No comments: