Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Pity, Party of One?

Okay, okay, party of two. Make that four.
I am exhausted. I'm dirty, I'm sweaty, I'm irritable, I'm sore, I'm over it. Today we moved my sister out of her dorm room. I still can't believe two years of her college experience are over. A week ago, I was a freshman, and yesterday, I was graduating. Move-out day is one of my least favorite parts about college. I'm planning to live in the same apartment for at least the next year, so I'm feeling pretty grateful right about now that we won't be lugging boxes from the ABC store (hey, they have an endless free supply) or insanely heavy furniture down treacherous flights of stairs anytime soon.

Gripe numero dos:
For the past 36 hours, I have literally felt as if the world (or possibly just the state of Virginia) said "hell no!" to AC. Since I left my blissfully cool apartment Tuesday afternoon, things haven't been the same. The temperature was unexpectedly warm all day, which allowed Caroline and me to enjoy packing breaks in the fresh air. Inside her dorm felt like a sauna. We baked to death until 2:00 a.m., at which time we were pretty much stripped down, sticking to the silky mattress covers and dripping in sweat. Of course, today's moving process didn't ameliorate our lack of sleep or the heat. When we finally uncovered the AC unit, we could feel a mild difference. Honestly, it didn't matter. Even the AC blasting in my car for 3 hours didn't make me feel much better. I'm a huge baby when it comes to being uncomfortable in the heat.

Third gripe:
We were able to meet up with Ian for dinner as we passed through Farmville. We dined at a local favorite, Charley's Waterfront Cafe, for Pasta Bar night. It literally felt as though the restaurant responded to the heat outside by turning on the heat inside. Of course, the poor chefs slaving over the open-flame burners cooking pasta and tossing oil-slicked veggies in the air didn't exactly help cool the restaurant down. I think I drank about six glasses of sweet tea before I finally felt hydrated.

This is what pooped looks like, after you've loaded two cars full of clothes, cosmetic items, stuffed animals, school supplies, appliances, sorority paraphernalia, and "heyyy, I've been wondering where that was!" odds and ends:
All gripes aside, today was a great day :) I'm a huge fan of productivity, family, and being homebound. Have a great night!

P.S. Did you loathe moving in/out of your dorm room? Was it a mega-pain in the ass? Did you have lots of capable help, like my Superdad?

No comments: