Friday, May 4, 2012

Twenty-twelve

Is anyone else as excited for the 2012 London Olympics as I am?
Source
Every single time I see a commercial, I get excited all over again. Sometimes I yell, "Yeah!" and pump my arm in the air, like I'm an Olympian competing in London. Hey, I recently ran 4 miles; what Olympic team wouldn't want me? Judge me if you must.

In the 2008 games when Michael Phelps won his 8 golds, I did not miss a single event of his. In fact, I refused to leave an Applebee's where I was enjoying late-night appetizers with Caroline and my best friend until I watched Phelps win the eighth gold. I'm not sure whether that should be a source of pride... I've also always loved Olympic gymnastics. For whatever reason, I was particularly invested in the big names of the '08 Games -- Shawn Johnson, Usain Bolt, Phelps, Nastia Liukin, etc. Maybe because I was finally old enough to really appreciate the Olympics, though even as little girls, my sister and I loved watching the winter and snow sports. I cannot wait for the Games this summer!

On a marginally related note...
Speaking of other countries, I'm pretty stoked about trying a new (to me) Greek restaurant, Zorba's, tonight with the fam. My parents have already tried it, and they reported that the portion sizes were gargantuan, which is exactly how I like my Greek food! As "authentic" as they can be in Richmond, VA, I'm all about authentic foreign cuisine. Plus, I love a "just because" excuse to eat out.

Happy Friday, all!
P.S. Are you a big Olympic supporter? Do you get riled up over any particular sport?

No comments: