Monday, August 20, 2012

A Year Older, a Year Wiser(?)

Officially one week from today, at 4:30 p.m., I will be embarking on my second year of graduate school! Eeek!!
So much has happened in the past year... I moved into my own apartment, I began my M.Ed. program, I returned to omnivorism after nearly a decade of vegetarianism, Ian began medical school and moved to my home city of Richmond, and we began discussing the idea of engagement. Plus everything in between. Oh yeah! And I began authoring Girl Emerging to document my weight-loss journey and my destination of full-time healthy living.

Every school year as far back as I can remember, my mom took my sister and me shopping for back-to-school clothes, supplies, shoes, and haircuts. As I've gotten older -- and earned one college degree -- things are a little bit different. I definitely still enjoy back-to-school clothes shopping, and I am a school supplies hoarder like you have never seen. Seriously. Do not underestimate the number of highlighters I possess or the quality of my Post-It note collection... But anyway, I always establish goals for the beginning of a new school year to keep my mind moving forward and to have something concrete to accomplish.

I thought carefully about the goals I would establish this year, especially due to the changes that have already transpired in my life and the changes that are bound to occur. This is what I came up with:
- Eat cleanly 90% of the time
- Train and sign up for a race longer than a 5k
- Talk to Ian each and every day (Skype, phone call)
- Listen to the signs and signals my body sends me
- All As, all the way
- Actually maintain my planner/organizer

I think my goals are challenging yet doable and realistic. I've always been forward-minded, but I don't want to let my imagination run amok or allow myself to get so caught up in my head that I lose sight of what's happening right in front of me. So, that's that! As always, I'll keep ya posted.

P.S. Do you establish goals before a new school or calendar year begins? If so, please share! :)

No comments: