Sunday, August 26, 2012

K! True Richmond Story: "I'm Addicted to eBay"

You know those people you interact with on a daily basis who use the smallest increments of power to their advantage in ways that are hysterical to the rest of us? For example, the card-checkers at Sam's Club. They're 92 and still power-trippin'. You win -- I'll let you highlight my receipt as you pretend to be able to visually scan all 56 items in my giant cart. Or the mall rent-a-cops. Yes, your Segway technically makes you faster and taller, but I'm secretly questioning your manhood.
 
Well, I inadvertently discovered my own false sense of power: selling clothes on eBay.
 
Plato's Closet is virtually useless in that regard. Yeah, I'm talking to you, Richmond and Midlothian locations. You claim to buy the latest styles, yet you won't accept never-before-worn clothing unless I've got tags and a receipt to prove it. Umm... if my garments had both tags and receipts, don't you think I'd return them to the store for a full refund instead of to your overcrowded establishment for $2? Okay, I'm done with my rant.
 
As I mentioned a few weeks ago, Ian and I have booked a Royal Caribbean cruise for Spring Break. I need every available penny! The deals we found made this vacation very affordable, even for two broke professional students, but I'm in the habit of spending frugally. After Plato's offered me $3.96 for one of nineteen items I brought in, I turned to Ian for help before pawning everything off on Goodwill. He and my sister are eBay pros, though he sells and she buys. He graciously helped me photograph and meticulously list everything I wanted to sell. One more reason why I kinda like this guy ;)
 
I'm counting down the hours until my auctions close. Right now I have 12 items up. I had to stop myself from maniacally pulling everything out of my closet that I haven't worn within the past week and uploading it to eBay. I need eight more dollars, damnit. I can make that AE shirt worth a preteen's life savings, muahaha!! Just ten more minutes and I'll... get in... bezzzzzz
 
It's seriously addictive watching the numbers of Views and Watchers rise. I (half) jokingly told my mom that the next time she visits my apartment, if the kitchen table and chairs are mysteriously absent, I may have gotten carried away. My sister joked that I'd be sitting on the curb because I'd have auctioned off my apartment just for shits and giggles. That may not be too far off the mark... So if you're interested in some gently used Abercrombie & Fitch items I ridiculously purchased as an employee, you know where to find me. I kid!
 
Happy Sunday, blends!

No comments: