Monday, September 17, 2012

Training with Dad

My dad is the only person who will train for races with me. I say "races," though the only race I've ever run was the Susan G. Komen 5k back in May.
We have a 5k next month at Smith Mountain Lake, though! I also say "train with me," though we're working separately toward the same goal: finishing in 35 minutes. Initially when Dad suggested this, I thought, uhhh... But honestly, it's the coolest thing ever that he's training for a race that I wanted to run. We were supposed to compete in Color Me Rad, but that's a whole 'nother story. This race is to make up for not being able to compete in that race due to procrastination and full registration.
 
Dad texted me yesterday: Doing a little work for the 5k. Power walk and x-country run. I replied, I ran 2.5 miles today! Look at us training :)
 
I usually finish a 5k run around 39:00 on the dreadmill. Dad had told me that the excitement of the race and my adrenaline would leave me feeling as though 3.1 miles had passed in no time flat, and that I would likely finish under 39:00. He was exactly right! At our 5k in May, I was pleasantly surprised to finish at around 37:00.
 
If it weren't for his enthusiasm and his spirit about staying fit, I doubt I would have enough inspiration within myself to set a lofty goal of finishing in 35:00. Nevertheless, 35 minutes is the goal, and I'm stickin' to it!

This one goes out to you, Dad -- thanks for being my training partner, my race buddy, my cheering section, my supporter and encourager, and my source of excitement about exercise!
 
Now, I just need to muster up the enthusiasm to hit the gym this morning...
 
P.S. What type of goal do you set before you compete? My goal for the Susan Komen race was simply to run the entire distance. Truly, it was one of my proudest accomplishments.

No comments: