Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Wednesday Ramblings

There's a lot going through my head right now. There are two ways I usually organize my thoughts and coordinate inside my head: calling my mom and/or blogging. Today, I chose the latter.
 
I'm reading a 208-page book on how to deal with children who have experienced a traumatic death (it's for my Grief, Loss and Trauma class). It's an excellent book, and it's written mostly in layman's terms -- thank goodness -- so it's easy to follow. One of my best friends, Kristin,
really enjoys studying and researching grief and loss. This book is right up her alley. I can't decide whether it's weird that I'm really enjoying this class and the catharsis it provides. Coincidentally, we're a class of all women with a female professor, so the sharing is abundant and I'm learning a lot of rich information about my classmates. It makes studying tough, emotional material a bit more bearable.
 
I'm over the moon that we've passed mid-September and fall is just around the corner!
When the leaves start changing, everything everywhere is flavored with pumpkin and cinnamon, and there is a crisp breeze in the morning, I'm in my element. It doesn't hurt that some stores are already displaying pumpkins ;)
 
I'm more motivated than ever to hit the gym. My weight loss has peaked, but I feel healthy, strong, energized, and all-around well. My fitness log looks good, too, which is always a bonus in my book.
Also, I befriended a somewhat older gentleman who also frequents the apartment complex gym. He and his wife walk on the treadmill or use some of the weight machines. He's full of stories about the "good old days" when he was a Green Beret. He's also full of tales about his bad knees, his "six-pack-turned-keg," and his multiple back surgeries... Nevertheless, he's very sweet and very encouraging. He says things like, I suppose you're gonna run on that thing, aren't ya? in reference to the treadmill. Or, my favorite, Do you ever leave this place?! I've definitely portrayed myself pretty darn accurately as a crotchety gym-goer who wants to be left alone, but admittedly, it's nice to have someone to talk to for a few minutes.
 
Ian and I have really found our stride with the long-distance, professional-school relationship. We'll be celebrating our third(!!) anniversary in November, 
and things feel stronger than ever. I admit, I had my reservations about the stress, the travel, the constant pre-planning... but I guess The Big Man Upstairs planned for me once again better than I planned for myself.
 
Well, I guess I'm about all rambled out. I hope your Wednesday-slash-National Talk Like a Pirate Day is marvelous :) Ta ta!

No comments: