Thursday, February 2, 2012

Really, Groundhog?

I used to joke with people that I have "reverse Seasonal Affective Disorder" because I've always loved dreary, snowy, rainy weather in the winter months. Mom always tells me I should just move to Seattle, where I could have weather like that year-round. I don't think I quite want to take it to that extent. In fact, today I was disappointed when I awoke to discover that Mr. Groundhog had, in fact, seen his shadow, "meaning" that six more weeks of winter is on its way. I don't know about anybody else, but I've been feeling a little gloomy lately, which is pretty unlike me. I'm not tooting my own horn to say that I'm the life of the party, but I'm a generally energetic, upbeat, all-around happy girl. I've been pretty disappointed this winter that we haven't had any snow -- I'm all about the snow. There's something about snow that just makes everything calm and quiet. Six more weeks of winter be damned. If nothing's gonna come of it, bring on spring!
To cheer myself up, I worked on my grocery list a bit for tomorrow: cucumber, tomato, avocado, whole wheat bagels, chia seeds (a new food I'm very excited to try), Chobani, Quorn naked "chicken" cutlets, bagged "Very Veggie" salad, Kind bars, sugar-free Jell-O and more! I absolutely love health-conscious grocery shopping.
I purchased my notepad from the Hemingway House in Key West last summer. What a place!
I went to the gym and completed a strength training circuit on my day "off."
I also decided to craft a bit. I used to be crafty all the time as an undergrad -- if you're a member of a sorority, you know it's pretty much mandatory. I realized that I miss making time to be creative, so I decided to take back up the hobby. What these are for is a big ol' secret!
I opened the windows and let some fresh air breeze through my apartment, which in itself felt like "out with the old, in with the new."
I also saw my Post-It that Jersey Shore is on tonight with a brand new episode of debauchery and embarrassment. I can't deny that I love that show, Oompa Loompas and meatheads and all. It has great entertainment value, and just like watching the hateful life of Abby Lee Miller, it can cheer the saddest sap up quicker than a hiccup.

I just needed some A.K. Time. So I took it.
I'm no health professional, but if there's one thing I know about a case of the blues, it's this: if you don't want to do it, don't. You won't make yourself feel better by absolutely forcing yourself to do something you're dreading. This is not to say that you shouldn't encourage or even challenge yourself to do something you're not especially syked about, but my general philosophy is, "if it don't feel right, don't do it."
For example, I had in mind to read a 30-page chapter this morning that isn't due until 4:30 p.m. next Tuesday. So why was I trying to read it now?! I'm one of those nerdy, work-well-in-advance, procrastination-is-death types who hates weekend homework. This morning, I'd much prefer to make myself a protein-heavy breakfast of a Swiss and sauteed onion omelette, veggie bacon, toast with orange marmalade, OJ, and Dunkin while I watch Netflix. And that, my friends, is exactly what I plan to do :) Have a very happy Thursday, and don't let that silly groundhog get you down!

P.S. Do you ever feel a little blue when the weather is yucky? Do you prefer cool weather or warm weather? Do you wish spring would hurry up, or are you hoping winter will stick around a little longer?

No comments: