Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Planaholics Not-So-Anonymous

Yesterday, due to the stress of class "pre-registration" (whatever that means), I skipped the gym. I awoke at my usual hour, dressed for the gym, prepped my iPod and my water bottle... and spent the entire morning, as well as a good portion of the afternoon, slaving away on figuring out my academic schedule from now until spring 2014. And you know what? I was perfectly okay with it. I had other priorities, like registering for summer classes so I can work out logistics for two families' vacations and a J-O-B. The first time I skipped a workout out of necessity as opposed to laziness, I thought I'd feel guilty and out of sorts. Quite the opposite, my blends. I felt that I made the right choice in staying home to work out something much more important.
This morning, however, I had a little trouble putting pep in my step, but I pushed through a run anyway. Just as a side note, yesterday was considered an "off" day on my training schedule, but I've pretty much disregarded those. In my mind, they're useful for strength training days or for rearranging my runs around my weekend travels.
Look at me, experimenting with the tools in Paint! Yes, I'm 10.
See, I'm a planner. I'm a list-maker. I'm a color-coordinator. I'm a pros-cons maker. In other words... I'm a freak of nature. We've already been through this on the blog, but some things never change. I should start a support group. They probably already exist for people like me.

In other news...
I can't seem to shake this scratchy throat I've had for a couple days. My Chloraseptic, which normally works wonders, is pretty much rendered useless. Yesterday I tried to ignore it, and I bummed a lollipop and a mint from my classmates so I wouldn't be clearing my throat or coughing every few minutes. I discovered some sugar-free hard candies in my pantry that I'll definitely be employing. I made soup for dinner last night and finished the leftovers today. I should have avoided dairy, which can thicken mucus and make it more difficult to get rid of something like this, but I was in such a cereal mood this morning. Guilty! I also can't start my day without my Chobani. Guess I didn't do myself any favors. I did take a Claritin around 12:30, because the med-free route didn't help yesterday. My only other symptom has been a mild headache, and I haven't even needed Ibuprofen.
Kind and helpful people keep offering suggestions: "Maybe it's the weather!" "Maybe it was the snow! Did you go out with wet hair?" "Maybe it's allergies!" "Did you get a flu shot?" "Do you have pets?"
Sorry, everybody... None of the above. Yes, the weather has been fluctuating rapidly. No, I do not have seasonal allergies or pet dander floating around. I got a flu shot this winter, and I do not run around with wet hair during snowstorms, hoping to feel wretched. Not feeling 100% frustrates me; it's the control freak in me. I obviously didn't plan for this to happen. Fortunately, my schedule affords me plenty of rest, as well as plenty of time to get everything done.

If you know of any remedies for an itchy throat, please send 'em my way! It's not painful as much as it is annoying. It wakes me up in the middle of the night occasionally, and I know it's not for lack of hydration. I've been guzzling water like it's the apocalypse. Better now than next week, right before Spring Break!

No comments: