Thursday, February 9, 2012

Really gReat Recipe thuRsday!

I don't really have any great words of wisdom for you today--because I totally do every other day--but I do have two recipes for my non-meat-loving blends.

Vegan Chili
What You'll Need:
1 1/2 C Morningstar Farms burger crumbles
1/3 C diced vidalia onion
1 8 oz. can no-salt added whole kernel yellow corn
1 8 oz. can tomato soup
1 tsp chili powder
1 tbsp sugar
Black pepper to taste
What You'll Do:
Combine all ingredients in a large bowl, and stir until thoroughly mixed.
Add the mixture to your Crock Pot and heat on Warm for 3 hours or so.
Serves one person heartily.
[I've found that even heating on Low can cook the chili too quickly; I make this recipe on nights when I'll be in class from 4:30-7:00. I put the chili in the Crock at 3:45, and it's ready to eat at 7:15]

Vegetarian Chicken Casserole
What You'll Need:
1 Quorn Naked Chicken Cutlet, cut into bite-sized pieces
1/2 C mayonnaise (or plain fat-free yogurt)
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1/2 C chopped celery
1-2 tbsp chopped onion
1/3 C slivered or sliced almonds
1 small can of mushrooms (pieces and stems fine)
1 1/2 C Pepperidge Farm herb seasoned stuffing crumbs
Salt and pepper to taste
2 C brown rice
What You'll Do:
Mix all ingredients except stuffing crumbs.
Put in casserole dish that has been sprayed with cooking spray.
Top with crumbs (may need to be crushed more finely).
Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
Serve over rice.
Serves two people heartily, or one with plenty of leftovers.

I adore these recipes because they're simple, quick, and don't call for a bunch of weird, one-time ingredients. I'm no master chef, but these are two of my favorites. If you try them, let me know what you think!

P.S. Do you ever feel paranoid about leaving your Crock Pot on for hours when you're not home? I do, and I'm always weirdly relieved when I arrive home and my apartment is still intact.


No comments: