Friday, October 26, 2012

Brand-Spankin'-Unexpected PDR + Big News!

Happy, happy, happy Friday, blends!
 
I have several pieces of news to share with you this morning.
First, yesterday I accomplished a personal distance record I thought was a bit further down the road (pun intended) than it actually was.
 
Wednesday night, I wondered to myself whether I could do 5 miles on the treadmill. Five miles is a lot for someone who's farthest distance to date was 4 miles -- and that had been a stretch the few times I had accomplished it.
 
Thursday morning, I woke up with renewed enthusiasm. Why had I been so pessimistic? The worst that could happen would be a shorter run than I had planned. I prepped well by eating a wholesome breakfast, and then a quinoa bowl for lunch. I felt mentally prepared and well-fueled as I left for the gym. I settled in on my favorite treadmill, Toddlers and Tiaras keeping me company. I don't know about the rest of you runners out there, but I can't run a "long" distance or a new PDR without some sort of distraction.
 
Before I knew it, I had 2 miles under my belt, then 3... and then 4. Just one more mile, and I'd have reached my goal. Actually, just 0.01 more miles and I was at a new PDR. I marveled to myself how incredible I felt throughout the run; my blood sugar didn't drop, my heel didn't bother me (excessively), my knees didn't feel weak or unsteady, I wasn't experiencing chafing or irritation.
 
I had to ask myself, Why did I think five miles wasn't within my grasp?
 
I can't even explain the feeling of rounding that 5-mile mark. I was incredulous all day long. I texted pictures of the treadmill stats to both of my parents and to Ian. I was also surprised that I accomplished my goal in less time than I had anticipated. When I began the run, I set a 1-hour goal for myself, at just under an 11:30/mile pace. I reached five miles at 57 minutes and 40 seconds -- by far one of my proudest fitness accomplishments. To many, my pace probably seems downright sluggish, but the feeling of completing a new PDR is the same every time: it's as though I've just crossed the marathon finish line.
Of course, Ian was none too happy with me for not only not heeding his sage advice, but for attempting a new PDR on a (possibly) injured foot. Well, today I don't feel any the worse for wear, and my attitude is at its prime. I'd say that's a pretty good reward :)
 
My second piece of news is something I can't share with you just yet. There's something BIG coming to the blog, and I absolutely cannot wait to share it with you! Stay tuned!


No comments: