Tuesday, October 9, 2012

5k Numero Dos Prep

Last Thursday, I ran a 5k in under 35:00 -- the goal Dad and I set for ourselves for the Vinton 5k -- for the first time ever.
Please excuse me while I toot my own horn (toot, toooot!) but I was pretty stoked. To be honest, I wasn't sure 3.1 miles in 35 minutes was doable for me right now. I haven't trained for this race like I did the Susan Komen race in May, and I've been experiencing troubles with my blood sugar.
 
Now I'm just making excuses.
 
But now that I know that it is doable, I'm feeling more ready than ever. I'm also pretty stoked to have a time goal; for the 5k in May, my goal was simply to run/jog the entire distance. This time around, my goal is both!

Dad's been very encouraging throughout my prep for this race. He and I trained separately, though I sent him frequent updates. Essentially, even for a 5k, I focused on getting myself back to that comfortable place with the distance. Then I worked on shaving off time and pacing myself at faster speeds. I haven't had a set running schedule, but I knew that the harder I pushed myself in the weeks before the race (within reason), the more relaxed I'd feel on race day.
This week, per Dad's suggestion, I'll run 3.1 miles this morning, and I'll do some half-mile sprints Wednesday and Thursday. Friday, of course, will be my day off. Saturday is R-A-C-E D-A-Y!

So why am I laying all this out so far in advance? Well, this weekend is my sister's and my Fall Break, which my family and I are spending at Smith Mountain Lake (hence the Vinton Fall Festival). We probably won't have Internet access, so I'll report on the race -- and the ridiculous number of ensuing pancakes I plan to scarf -- sometime next week.

Happy Tuesday!

Countdown to race day: T-minus 4


No comments: