Sunday, March 18, 2012

Fiesta Weekend

What a wonderful relaxing, productive, exciting, smile-filled weekend it was :) I was so blessed to be able to spend it in the company of family and good friends.

Friday held so many new things (i.e. my accidental 5K), I couldn't help but celebrate!
I demolished this little gem at TGI Friday's before Kristin and I made our way to AA. This go-round, I selected more wisely: the Classic Wedge Salad, the Chicken Piccata Pasta, and this, Oreo Madness. Again, I didn't finish the pasta, and the delicious left-overs are still waiting for me.
Saturday, after my new favorite healthy Subway find (a 6" Veggie on wheat bread = provolone, lettuce, tomato, pickles, banana peppers, cucumber, Chipotle Southwest sauce, and oil and vinegar), I treated myself to a phenomenal Starbuck's cake pop.
Saturday evening, Caroline, Ian and I rang in St. Patrick's Day with two friends, Phil and Bekah, and a lot of some very green beer at Macado's!

After so much indulgence, I declared today that I'm in official Detox Mode. Lauren asked me about my "plan of attack," but the truth is, I don't have one. I just have a crying need to OD on fruits and veggies. Somewhere between the pasta salad and St. Patty's Day coconut cake I swallowed whole last night and the 2 cinnamon rolls I wolfed down this morning, I lost sight of my body's needs.
Ergo... I've been excited to make and to blog about vegetarian Burrito Bowls for literally days!
I got the idea from one of my favorite blogs, A Healthy Slice of Life.

What I Used:
- Refried pinto beans
- Hard taco shell bowls (a.k.a. Tostada Bowls)
- Baby spinach leaves
- Tomato
- Avocado
- Sprinkly nacho/taco cheese
- Light sour cream
- Wholly Salsa
(I wasn't able to find fresh cilantro at my local Kroger last week)
(I ended up skipping the brown rice; I'm thinking I'll use it for a meal later this week)
(I didn't add sauteed onion as I had planned because I was super hungry... and eager!)
What I Did:
- Coated the inside of the bowl with hot refried beans
- Diced a handful (each) of tomato, avocado, and spinach
- Layered all veggie ingredients
- Added sour cream, salsa, and cheese
- Added dollops of beans
And there it is -- my very first homemade burrito bowl!
I munched on a handful of almonds and a Chobani instead of giving in to the idea of fixing another Burrito Bowl. I'll be enjoying one again soon; one of the great things about this meal idea is that the ingredients suffice for several meals.

Well, my blends, it's time for me to get back into my school routine. T-minus 44 days until the semester is over, but it sure doesn't feel like it! I've got a lot of work--hence, a lot of stress--ahead of me, so a detox goal of ODing on fruits and veggies ought to help me cope. Enjoy the rest of your Sunday!


No comments: