Thursday, July 19, 2012

Total-Body R&R

Without going into too much detail, let's just say that my job is stressful. Those in my future profession of counseling are constantly emphasizing relaxation techniques and strategies to reduce burnout and compassion fatigue -- two of the risks that accompany working where I do. One of the best techniques I have in my arsenal is swimming. After I swim 40-50 laps, I cannot possibly still be stressed or agitated. Other forms of exercise give me the same effect, but they do not come as naturally easily to me. 

Well, as I mentioned, I contracted some sort of summer cold, either from my sister or from my job. It knocked me on my ass all weekend, but by Monday, I thought I had kicked it. Tuesday, it returned almost full-force, and I chose to forego the gym. Honestly, I didn't have the energy to do much except watch TV and sigh longingly. Dad gives me friendly reminders to "do something every day," but some days, that is just not going to happen for me. Tuesday, I knew I needed some R&R, so I purposely laid low after work. I ate well, took a short nap, drank plenty of fluids, consumed enough cough drops to choke Hulk Hogan, and went to bed early.

Yesterday, I was feeling completely back to normal, so I decided to attempt a long run. I ended up completing a 5k in 39 minutes, and to be honest, I'm still patting myself on the back. Today, I wasn't feeling a run, but I hopped on a machine I've never used (but always admired from afar): the crossramp. It was elliptical-esque, but instead of the footholds moving in a circular motion, they slide back and forth at an angle along a track.
I wish I could describe it better... but this should do it justice. It gave me a run for my money (pun intended). Between 45 minutes today and 42 minutes yesterday, I know that I did the right thing by listening to the messages my body was sending me. I desperately needed the rest, energy, and liquids. I also needed to allow myself to slow down, cool off, and feel okay about purposefully taking time off from working out. Now, I'm ready to hit the ground running this weekend!

P.S. What are your grand plans for the weekend?
P.P.S. Awhile back, I mentioned running in the Color Me Rad 5k in Richmond. Unfortunately, the event has been filled to capacity for months, but the race coordinators generously offered Dad, Caroline and me 25% off our next race fee since they were unable to include us in this one. How cool is that?! I'll keep you posted on the next race we choose :)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Rest up tonight and tomorrow. The celebration on Saturday will be one to remember... Or not.