Sunday, July 15, 2012

A Week of Clean Eats for the Fam

Yesterday, as my mouth was watering thinking about the Chik-Fil-A salad I was about to devour, I thought aloud how nice it would be to eat clean dinners for a week as a family. My parents were immediately on board, though getting my sister to join in might be a little more challenging. She's very much into nutritious eats, but she's not always willing to be experimental with new or exotic foods. For example, no one really cared for quinoa when we tried it as a family (except me). Dad still isn't especially interested in it, and I swear I can hear noses turning up when my back is turned during one of my healthy food spiels. Nevertheless, we're all interested in fueling our bodies well and in finding new, tasty recipes for our respective repertoires.
I thought we might try some of these meals and simultaneously feel out healthier alternatives:

- Quinoa bowls (shredded lettuce, quinoa, fresh salsa, fat-free sour cream, fresh cilantro)

- Whole wheat rotini with pesto and steamed broccoli

- Grilled vegetable kabobs (squash, zucchini, onion, pepper, tomato)

- Stir fry (broccoli, onion, carrots, water chestnuts, baby corn, bok choy, and chicken in a little bit of brown sugar and soy sauce) over brown rice

- Portobello burgers or turkey burgers (with provolone, lettuce, tomato, onion, pickle chips and hummus on a whole wheat bun) with sweet potato fries

Dessert ideas:
- Fresh seasonal or local fruit
- Sugar-free Jell-O
- Homemade scones

I'll keep you posted on whether these meals actually come to fruition. And, I vow to somehow get better about posting photos.

If you have suggestions or recommendations, bring 'em on! I absolutely L-O-V-E getting ideas from fellow healthy living bloggers, and I promise to give credit where credit is due :)

No comments: